Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Salutes to BN Yugandhar


BN Yugandhar (IAS)was a stellar civil service leader, a great practitioner of public policy in India, a scholar with immense grasp of governance and a great human being
He was a civil servant who occupied almost all important policy making role in India. He was a member of the planning commission of India and secretary at Prime Minister's office and many more. Above all he was a.man of impeccable integrity and imagination. His life and committed professional integrity should be a text book for all aspiring civil service officers.
With his demise India lost a genuine civil servant whose heart was always with the poor and marginalised people. He was a policy maker who always thought of Gandhji's Talisman.
He was one of my Gurus who gave me an insider understanding of democratic governance. I have learned the basics of public policy making and how governance system work inside from him. We had so many discussions over the years, since 1996 when I met him for the first time. He almost showed a fatherly affection to me. He was hundred percent a pro poor peoples civil service leader. It is people like BN Yugandhar who made me respect civil servants.
He immensely inspired me. He encouraged me whenever I met him. We met when I was at the National Centre for Advocacy Studies. I used to be active in advocacy at the national level. Yugandharji was the Principle secretary in PMs office, when Narasimha Rao wasthe PM. He surprised me as he was unassuming, blunt and affectionate to a young man of his son's age.
When we began budget analysis and I began conducting budget appreciation and analysis course, it s he who encouraged. Once I did a budget analysis workshop in Anandapur district of the then Andhra Pradesh. It was very well reported in the Hindu and other news papers. Reading the news he called me and suggested to do such training across the country. That is also what gave few of us courage to start the Center for Governance and Budget Accountability in New Delhi as a national resource centre.
It is he who introduced me the intricacies of the UN system as he also served the UN system for few years in Bangkok. He is the one who called up.many of his old friends suggesting ' John' to conduct advocacy training. That is how I facilitated one of my first UN training program in Bangkok. That opened many doors. Then my friend Pramod Kumar called me for the second program in Delhi for Residents coordinators of UN in Asia Region.
When BN Yugandhar used to be a member of the planning commission, I used to meet him whenever I was in Delhi. He was a strong critic of Neo liberal policies and felt it will alienate poor from government and from the congress. He was prophetic in his analysis. He did not conceal his antipathy to Alhuwalia approach.
While he was very happy that I too eventually joined the UN system , he kept on telling me 'John you must get back to India. You are a grassroots man. Our politics and policy making need people like you."
I met him last three years ago at the National Institute of Rural Management Hyderabad in a Seminar. Many journalist surrounded him. He said he had nothing to say. It was a bit of an irony. BN Yugandhar was a legendary civil service leader of India in his own right. He occupied every position a civil servant in India can ever aspire for .
But journalist wanted to know more about his now famous son Sathyan Nadella. Mr. Bukkapuram Nadella Yugandhar walked out without telling anything to the journalist .
Before he got in to the car he asked me " So., John when are you going to come back".I will certainly miss the ever encouraging words of a great human being.
He too departed, leaving his memories in the heart of thousands who ever met him.
Adieu dear Yugandharji. Rest in Peace
JS Adoor

No comments: